[Linux-aus] Pidgin WebRTC (was Re: NBN discussion)

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Wed Jul 3 08:43:10 EST 2013

On 03/07/13 08:03, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Anyway: WebKit is not what you want: you want blink - Google's web
> engine - which has WebRTC support. Or if you are only interested in
> the WebRTC part of blink, you should just use the webrtc code stack
> https://code.google.com/p/webrtc/ , which is also what Firefox uses.

I'm not too sure about the blink/webkit reasoning, except WebKit was
chosen well before blink was announced. But at a guess, the C++
requirement I suspect blink needs (based upon observation of RHEL6
Chrome being ditched) would mean a bump in gcc requirements for Pidgin
which is a C program. Not 100% sure how that'd 'go down' and how much
it'd break other code.

However, as Eion Robb corrected me, WebRTC is available in GStreamer
which Pidgin already supports. So it shouldn't be that tricky (as in,
not as hard as REing a closed protocol) and less likely break other code
if/when bumping gcc version. Which, I guess is to say, the path of least
resistance would be GStreamer first.

P.