[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Jul 1 06:50:45 EST 2013

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013, Russell Stuart wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:55:02
> From: Russell Stuart <russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au>
> To: Linux Australia List <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] NBN discussion
>
> On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 12:21 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Whlst this is (apparently) not yet available in the VOIP software
>> applications available for Debian Linux 6, it is, I believe, available
>> for Skype for Windows (and so, hopefully, it will be "only a matter of
>> time" before it becomes available in a relatively stable software
>> package for open source operating systems).
>
> There are in fact many VOIP phones available for Linux, and Debian.
>
> But given how you worded this perhaps we should step back a bit.
> Firstly, there are many VOIP protocols.  Skype, Google Hangouts, H232,
> SIP to name a few of the better known ones.

In having snipped the paragraph preceding the paragraph above, from what
I had posted, your quote of what I wrote, is out of context.

What I had written, in context, was that high definition video call
software, and, video conferencing software, appears to be not yet
available in the VOIP software that is available for Debian 6 Linux.

I believe that to still be correct.

This had been dealt with, on various lists, including the Ekiga list
(in which I and another person, had been unable to get the particular
version (that was the applicable version in the Debian Linux 6
repository) of Ekiga, to work for video calls). The answer was "well,
the latest version works, and, it is available for Debian
experimental", but it will not be ported to (then) Debian stable.

Similarly, we had tried video calls with Linphone, and, they did not
work.

We also tried video calls between each of the combinations, involving
Skype, Ekiga, and Linphone, for the versions that are available for
Debian Linux 6 (I think that the other person was using a version of
Ubuntu, as one of the operating system platforms that the other person
tried, but, the package version numbers were close enough to each
other).

The only successful video calls, that we could make, were Skype to
Skype.

And, I have used the version of Skype that I have installed ("Skype
(Beta 2.2.0.35", that, I believe, was sourced from the Debian Linux 6
repository), to communicate, internationally, with Skype (version 4.x, I
think) running on MS Windows (Microsoft now owns Skype, but, as the
version that I have, is free, and, runs on Debian Linux 6, just because
Microsoft now owns Skype, is not sufficient reason to not use Skype).

So, I think that people should be careful, when snipping the text of
messages to which they are responding, so that they are not quoting out
of context.

And, the other person and I, when we were experimenting with the VOIP
software, tried the different VOIP software packages mentioned, and,
discussed others, as listed on a wikipedia web page about VOIP software.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."