[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Mon Jul 1 13:25:40 EST 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 04:50 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> What I had written, in context, was that high definition video call
> software, and, video conferencing software, appears to be not yet
> available in the VOIP software that is available for Debian 6 Linux.

My mistake, Bret.  Yes you did.

> I believe that to still be correct.

I am running Debian Stable.  And I have both Skype and Google Hangout's
running on it.  Being proprietary means they are not in the standard
repository, but they are available and easy to install.

I doubt you could call them "High Definition", but I am not sure that or
even having video matters.  The quality of VOIP without effective end to
end QOS is very hit and miss - ranging from better than the analogue
system to unusable, and it varies during the call.  The only time we use
it is for calls to family members who are overseas where "free" matters
more than "reliably being able to communicate".  The video is just a
nice extra.