[Linux-aus] Treasurers Report 2012

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Fri Jan 25 21:57:13 EST 2013

Hello AJ,

> A few things don't seem to make sense at first look?
>
>  - there's no LCA2013 column in the Profit & Loss on the treasurer's
> report? were there really no expenses for LCA2013 by 30th Sept? ah...
> that's the "unassigned" due to Xero apparently. lame :-/
The real reason here is that it is moved into pre-payments for the 2013
financial period. So the 2013 conference will show up in the 2013 report.

>  - What's with "Accounts receivable preinvoiced" ?
>
> Hmm, everything else is about the budget table, which is nice.
This would be the LCA2013 sales marked a presales.

>  - PyCon had a $3k loss (for 2011) against the $6k gain (for 2012);
> probably should be mentioned against the budget? (Pycon 2011 was $22k
> gain last year, $15k above budget though)
Yes this would have been remaining expenses not in the 2011 budget. You
can look at both of the budgets for comparison, but I also have a
spreadsheet attached that does a nice comparison of all the areas.

>  - Same deal for Wordcamp, by the looks -- the gain for Wordcamp
> Sydney is booked against the budget, but the loss for Wordcamp
> Goldcoast isn't (it'd made $2746 in 2011 against losing $2208 in 2012
> by the looks)
These are different wordcamp events and is due to the way the years
overlap. See attachment again.

>  - Drupal Down Under's dropped from the budget? what's the deal there?

Drupal Down Under haven't signed on with Linux Australia to do a
conference in 2013 or 2014.

>  - BCM (Bar Camp Melbourne?) and JDM (Joomla Day Melbourne?) aren't on
> the budget for 2013? should they be?

I'm unaware of solid plans for 2013. These conference currently run on a
'break even' budget. In fact all of our subcommittees do. The PyCon and
Wordcamp were listed as they have trend data whereas BCM is a little
harder to tell and JDM only finished running last weekend. To be clear,
we aren't holding any of our conferences to this profit and most of the
2013 budget is estimated since the activities for 2013 aren't finalised.

> I put together the 2011 and 2012 budget/actuals into a spreadsheet for
> comparison [attached]. Looks like:
>
>  - grants/donations/sfd budget has gone from $25k to $30k in 2013, but
> actual spend has gone from $14k to $11k actually spent?

Linux Australia has the money to be doing more for the open source
community. I would like to see the next council be more proactive in
finding ways to spend its grant money but again the budget is a
suggestion to the 2013 treasurer. However, we have already donated
$7,500 in sponsorship to DrupalCon Sydney along with formalising a new
regional delegates programme. I would also like to call upon the
community to make further use of the grants scheme.

Previously the donations to charities (such as the Floods/Devil
foundation etc) comes out of here. Last year we only matched $7.5k in
donations rather than $10k max that we had been doing.

>  - storage costs seem to be going up? $2500 budget in 2011, $3500
> actual in 2011, $5700 actual in 2012? what's with that?
Yes, I had noticed that during the report but forgot to investigate. One
of our storage units is in New Zealand so there is a bit of fluctuation
with the exchange - however this should be negligible. The budget item
was on the hope that we'd close the unit in NZ but this hasn't happened
yet. The 2011 budget actual was also over 9 months rather than 12. So
$5k should be about right. However we do seem to have an extra charge
from them that I might ask Andrew to investigate.

>  - the "Travel (team review)" budget seems to be higher than
> expectations (as reflected in the new budget)? what's that for?

This is for reviewing LCA bids. However that's actually a mistake I've
made in carrying the item from the P&L into the table. The actual for
that item was just $679 reflected from having only one bid for 2013 in
an easily accessible region. This does make the actuals wrong in my
management budget but the new figure of $3,500 is probably more accurate
for the 2013 budget as there were at least two bids for LCA2014
including one in WA.

>  - looks like the total budget figures differ from actual by ($2700)
> in 2011 (some income missed?), and by $8700 in 2012 (PyCon and
> Wordcamp as mentioned above account for some of that, though there's
> BCM and JDM too...)
Not sure I follow you here. Could you please be more specific of which
part of the document you are looking at/summing?

> Otherwise, looks good. I assume the budget table is maintained by
> hand? Is there any way to get that generated by Xero so it matches the
> official financials?
Yes it is done by hand. We don't follow the budget to the number so long
as we are abiding by our expense policy (
http://www.linux.org.au/policies/expense) so I tend to only add it up a
few times in the year to make sure we are being sensible (mostly I just
keep an eye on xero). Yes, we can use xero for budgeting but this
requires us to budget against each of the accounts (as listed per the
P&L). However I'd prefer to budget more broadly by activity as shown in
the tables I have done. I may suggest to the future treasurer that we
look at modifying our chart of accounts to reflect this or have a new
"activity" category we can sort off.

> Hmm, page 4 of the audit report looks wrong -- the first balance
> should be 31 Dec 2010, not 31 Dec 2011. The 30 Sep 2011 balance
> differs from the 2012 Treasurer's report by $2 too... Oh, the bottom
> line of the 2013 Treasurer's report and audit report differs by $2
> too.
Yes, you are correct that is a typo. I will get that amended. Thanks for
noticing.

Yes, we were aware of the $2 balance issue. We haven't been able to
account for that exactly. It is likely rounding but our auditor said it
was acceptible given our level of activity.

Thanks for your feedback - very much appreciate the check-over.

Cheers,
Josh