[Linux-aus] Announcing my running for LA President

Paul Wayper paulway at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 14 17:34:38 EST 2013

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Ansell"
To:"linux-aus"
Sent:Mon, 14 Jan 2013 16:11:15 +1100
Subject:[Linux-aus] Announcing my running for LA President

	[snip] I urge that if you disagree with these changes please run
against me.Or what?
Maybe I'm being unfairly suspicious of your motives, here, Tim, but if
someone runs and wins, and they don't think your agenda is a high
priority for them, then what?  Will you hassle them here, on the
Linux Australia email list?  Will you phone them up?  Will you
criticise them in public?
If you run and you are accepted as LA President, and we disagree with
your proposed changes on list, will you ignore us?  Will you claim
that you had some kind of "mandate" to enact those changes because you
were elected?  Will you criticise us as being lazy whiners who
couldn't be bothered to run for president?
Because none of these reactions, in my opinion, is a good thing at
all.
Being the President of Linux Australia, in my opinion, is about
trying to get a community consensus, and trying to do the right thing
by the community of FOSS users and writers in Australia.  Which is
why it's such a hard thing to do, and why - with a very vocal group of
people making a lot of trouble (in my opinion) on this list about
various proposals and changes - very few people are currently willing
to step up and do it.  It is not a position, in my opinion, which
allows its holder to do whatever e wants, pre-declared agenda or no.
If you're serious about being President of Linux Australia, then I
believe you have to be prepared to work with the _all_ community, not
just the part of it that agrees with you.
Hope this helps,
Paul
P.S. I haven't read your proposals.  They could be the most benign
and agreeable proposals ever.  The above would still apply.