[Linux-aus] Name change election results..

D.Jitnah danyj at greenwareit.com.au
Thu Jan 3 16:14:10 EST 2013

It seems to me that whatever voting scheme had been used to decide this
matter, there would always be cause for criticism unless it was a
unanimous vote.  Probably best now is to stick with LA and revisit this
at a later date - say 2 yrs.  The situation might then be that a name
change may indeed be more desirable and popular.

For info: I did not vote because I honestly forgot about it :(. I was
first inclined to vote to keep LA as the name, but I was also
sympathetic to the name change argument, and was tossing between voting
for "Open Source Council of Australia" as second choice or other way around.

I think there is a role for an umbrella organisation based on the
Australian Research Council model, but instead of morphing LA into this
it would be possibly better to create one and LA would be a major
founding member/sponsor, and I could see Open Source Industry Australia
also being an important founding Member (Disclaimer: I am a current
Director of OSIA - the opinion expressed here is mine only and should
not be read as representing OSIA's position in anyway)., and also state
based Linux User Groups.  I think there is still a role for LA as a
predominantly Linux focussed National organisation.

Cheers
Daniel.