[Linux-aus] Grant Inquiry: Open Food Web Foundation

Kirsten Larsen kirsten at eaterprises.com.au
Sun Apr 14 18:10:22 EST 2013

Hi Craige (and others)

First up I'm a big fan of Appropedia . . couple of key differences though:

   - Open Food Web Foundation could be considered more equivalent to the
   Wikimedia Foundation - in that it supports the development of software that
   enable people to do their thing. In Wikimedia's case to run wikis, and in
   our case (initially focus on) running their own food trading and
   distribution networks
   - Appropedia is built using a wiki, focused on open sharing of
   appropriate technologies (yay) some of which are related to food (e.g. food
   portal). OFWF and Appropedia will be quite likely to cross-reference each
   other, but the focus is quite different in that Appropedia is in no way
   designed to actively support FOSS development communities around key
   software needs for food system change
   - OFWF could certainly endorse and could potentially point to Appropedia
   food portal as an example of open knowledge for food systems. Good point
   and we can discuss this with Chris next time we see him around :)

Cheers
Kirsten