[Linux-aus] Getting FOSS into schools

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Fri May 11 23:24:58 EST 2012

On 11/05/12 10:12 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> I honestly believe that the best way to get FLOSS into schools is
> through the One Education programme run by OLPC Australia:
>
>    http://www.one-education.org/

It seems like a really good programme and deserves every success but I
have my doubts about it getting into many average suburban schools. And
it seems to me like OLPC is most suitable for younger students which
leaves quite a gap that could be filled as they approach and enter
senior school. So it makes sense to pursue other avenues as well.

I think the application-centric ICT focus in many schools is a bit of a
dead end and probably will run its course over the next decade and other
more innovative things will replace it. And hopefully that will not be
just iPads. I think it will be interesting to see if devices like
Arduino and Raspberry Pi can get into schools in quantity since they
don't really compete with their existing Windows or Mac infrastructure
and provide new learning opportunities. That is something different that
I don't know has been presented at these education events before.
Certainly more interest to me than a cd of apps like OpenOffice and I
suspect to many teachers as well.

> Sridhar
> (only one 'h')

Sorry. That will teach be not to cut and past names from Linux Australia
web sites. I thought I would avoid a mistake that way :-(