[Linux-aus] Getting FOSS into schools

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Mon May 14 21:44:00 EST 2012

On 11 May 2012 23:24, Paul Shirren <shirro at shirro.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/12 10:12 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>>

>> I honestly believe that the best way to get FLOSS into schools is
>> through the One Education programme run by OLPC Australia:
>>
>>   http://www.one-education.org/
>

> It seems like a really good programme and deserves every success but I have
> my doubts about it getting into many average suburban schools. And it seems
> to me like OLPC is most suitable for younger students which leaves quite a
> gap that could be filled as they approach and enter senior school. So it
> makes sense to pursue other avenues as well.
>
> I think the application-centric ICT focus in many schools is a bit of a dead
> end and probably will run its course over the next decade and other more
> innovative things will replace it. And hopefully that will not be just
> iPads. I think it will be interesting to see if devices like Arduino and
> Raspberry Pi can get into schools in quantity since they don't really
> compete with their existing Windows or Mac infrastructure and provide new
> learning opportunities. That is something different that I don't know has
> been presented at these education events before. Certainly more interest to
> me than a cd of apps like OpenOffice and I suspect to many teachers as well.

What you are after is definitely *not* what OLPC is trying to do. OLPC
is targeted at primary schools. It is about using ICT to teach, not
teaching ICT. It is intended to be a better way to teach the
fundamentals that are already being taught in schools - the three Rs,
etc. Knowledge of ICT is a nice side effect.

--
"Our mission is to enhance learning opportunities for over 500,000
primary school aged children by providing each one with a connected XO