[Linux-aus] Getting FOSS into schools

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Fri May 11 22:42:41 EST 2012

On 11 May 2012 16:59, Paul Shirren <shirro at shirro.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/12 4:10 PM, Jonathan Woithe wrote
>> Unless we can encourage FOSS suppliers and supporters to promote FOSS at
>> these events there's absolutely no way FOSS will be widely adopted in
>> schools across Australia.
>
> http://linux.org.au/content/sydney-education-expo-stand
>
> Shridhar and others used to do something but he represents OLPC
> Australia now and is making a fairly awesome contribution in other ways.
>
> I guess it is time for the next generation to step up.

The last time I was involved in the Education Expo (2010), I ran an
OLPC section as well.

I honestly believe that the best way to get FLOSS into schools is
through the One Education programme run by OLPC Australia:

  http://www.one-education.org/

As far as I know, One Education is the most comprehensive technology
in education programme there is, and it is underpinned by FLOSS.

As Engineering Manager at OLPC Australia, I have a responsibility to
ensure that FLOSS remains strong in OLPC. But of course FLOSS is only
as strong as its community. Please contact me if you want to make a
difference. At the very least, you can encourage your local primary
school to adopt the One Education programme.

Sridhar
(only one 'h')

--
"Our mission is to enhance learning opportunities for over 500,000
primary school aged children by providing each one with a connected XO