[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Jul 20 12:55:05 EST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012, Lachlan <lachlan.00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So what is Australia's Free Software/Linux advocacy group? I'd much rather
> be there whether the name was Linux Australia or not. (I haven't been on
> this list long enough to have an opinion on the name.)

I agree.  If the reorganisation takes place I'll probably unsubscribe from the
mailing list for the umbrella organisation as soon as things are sorted out
and remain on the list of the new Linux Australia that does little other than
Linux advocacy.  I'll also run for the committee of the new Linux Australia
which does nothing but Linux advocacy.

The current Linux Australia is doing good things and we need an organisation
to do that.  But they aren't things that I'm good at or really interested in
doing personally.

Finally I think it's good for a small portion of the money raised by LCA to be
used for other things related to Free Software.  Linux doesn't exist in a
vacuum.  Financially supporting conferances about Python and other important
programming languages as well as TAI and other important social issues related
to what we are doing helps the Linux community.