[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Michael Chesterton chesty at chesterton.id.au
Fri Jul 20 06:34:27 EST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> Indeed, this option was mooted in the previous centi-thread.  There
> are two counterarguments here:
>
> 1) Such a method would generate an unreasonable paperwork burden upon
> the council, given that this approach would need to be made available
> to every LA-run conference.  If it's not offered to every conference,
> then it strikes me as counterproductive.
>
> 2) It's counterproductive, as we'll then lose the brand recognition
> that comes from multiple conferences being run under the same banner.
> If PyCon AU is run by PyCon AU, then selling e.g. LCA onto PyCon's
> sponsors becomes a more difficult task, rather than an easier one as
> it currently is.

Create one business name, ie FOSCAN or whatever, and write all the
cheques from that.

> It's definitely the latter, but it's not an insignificant number.  I
> would say that about half of our sponsors are new to LA, and I've had
> to explain the purpose of LA to all of these.

I think you'll be swapping explaining what linux asutralia is with what
foscan is. The good thing about linux australia is it's sort enough
to say the full name, I can't even remember what foscan stands for.
People will more likely say foscan rather than the six words,
and foscan is meaningless.
(I'm just using foscan as an example of a potential new name)

Lastly I think the subject is miss leading, LA isn't really being renamed,
as I understand it, it's being reorganised, LA will still exist and a new
name
will be created.

So why not put foscan under la, and if the majority see it's working well,
swap it so la comes under foscan.