[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 03:34:35 EST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> Could a number of these not be solved by adding "PyCON AU" as a trading
> name to Linux Australia, then opening an account to match?
>
> Cheques can be made out to "pycon AU" and deposited into the account, or
> can be made out to Linux Australia, and deposited into the account.
> Chris gets a "branded" bank account to operate from, the council can
> peer into the pycon account and make sure everything is kosher, and
> everyone is happy.

Indeed, this option was mooted in the previous centi-thread.  There
are two counterarguments here:

1) Such a method would generate an unreasonable paperwork burden upon
the council, given that this approach would need to be made available
to every LA-run conference.  If it's not offered to every conference,
then it strikes me as counterproductive.

2) It's counterproductive, as we'll then lose the brand recognition
that comes from multiple conferences being run under the same banner.
If PyCon AU is run by PyCon AU, then selling e.g. LCA onto PyCon's
sponsors becomes a more difficult task, rather than an easier one as
it currently is.

>> Once he's in communication with potential sponsors, the problem is
>> surmountable - but he has to keep having the same conversation over
>> and over and over and over with every single sponsor. This is time
>> that could be better spent elsewhere.
>
> I understand attending Chris is at OSCON right now, so I might not get
> an answer, but is this really the case for every pycon sponsor? Does
> every single pyconAU sponsor, including those that sponsored the two
> events in Sydney, balk at Linux Australia's name being on the cheque, or
> is just those that don't understand what LA does and why it is involved?

It's definitely the latter, but it's not an insignificant number.  I
would say that about half of our sponsors are new to LA, and I've had
to explain the purpose of LA to all of these.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --