[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Jul 19 18:22:55 EST 2012

I *really* didn't want to get drawn into this, but two things strike me
from this renewed conversation

On 07/15/2012 05:15 PM, James Polley wrote:
> Chris Neugebauer has detailed
> (http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2012-April/019535.html
> is probably the most succinct explanation, but he's also re-explained
> this at
> http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2012-April/019455.html,
> http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2012-April/019544.html,
> http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2012-April/019526.html)
> how the current situation affects him as an organiser of PyCon-AU.

Could a number of these not be solved by adding "PyCON AU" as a trading
name to Linux Australia, then opening an account to match?

Cheques can be made out to "pycon AU" and deposited into the account, or
can be made out to Linux Australia, and deposited into the account.
Chris gets a "branded" bank account to operate from, the council can
peer into the pycon account and make sure everything is kosher, and
everyone is happy.

> Once he's in communication with potential sponsors, the problem is
> surmountable - but he has to keep having the same conversation over
> and over and over and over with every single sponsor. This is time
> that could be better spent elsewhere.

I understand attending Chris is at OSCON right now, so I might not get
an answer, but is this really the case for every pycon sponsor? Does
every single pyconAU sponsor, including those that sponsored the two
events in Sydney, balk at Linux Australia's name being on the cheque, or
is just those that don't understand what LA does and why it is involved?

Steve