[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Fri Jul 13 18:39:48 EST 2012

On 13/07/12 17:41, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
> LA has the perception of being
> more Admin than about Linux promotion and advocacy.  A name change is
> good, as then LA becomes "Umbrella Administrative Organisation" \,
> leaving Linux Australia to be about promoting and advocating Linux.

History changes.  When first it was claimed on _this_ list that our name
needed to change, the reason given was that having "Linux" in the name
undermined our efforts in the non-linux sectors of the "movement."
Astonishingly, the reason now given is because our efforts advocating
for Linux are secondary to our efforts in administration.

In a breathtaking grab, we are asked to abandon the name that defines
our past--also abandon the bank account, by the way--and to splinter
into more-focussed groups, one of which, advocating for Linux, will
continue using our name as it stands.

On 13/07/12 16:31, Brent Wallis wrote:
> IMHO there is a pathetic and frankly sickening political agenda at
> play here specifically designed to elicit extreme response that can be
> pointed to as being "anti open whatever" . Seems some just want to
> ride the back of and crush ...what has been and will continue to be a
> successful org....called LINUX AUSTRALIA.

Nicely said.

> Leave LA alone!
> Stop the hijack!

Even nicer.