[Linux-aus] Grant request: meeting recording system for CLUG

Josh Stewart josh at noisymime.org
Wed Feb 15 22:31:16 EST 2012

On 14/02/2012, at 6:46 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:
> I would like to request a grant from Linux Australia for equipment for
> recording CLUG meetings.  This would comprise of a set of equipment similar to
> that used to record LCA meetings and would be used at both CLUG monthly
> meetings and PSIG meetings (speakers and their wishes permitting).  Steve
> Walsh has provided this list of equipment with prices from local music stores
> or online:
>
> Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod - $300
>
> Sony Mini-DV DSR-PD100AP - $205
>
> Canopus Twinpact 100 (VGA capture)        - $700
>
> Yamaha MG102 Mixer (2 mic inputs with a spare, plus unbalanced audio in / out)
> - - $220
>
> Sennheiser Freeport Mic System. One beltpack and Lapel Mic, One Handheld
> Microphone, two receivers - $720
>
> Assorted cables to connect all this up - $150
>
> Total of the grant request is $2295.

Whilst I'm in 100% agreement that this is a great objective (Recording LUG talks), I do wonder whether the purchase or further equipment is necessary, particularly in this case.

With the exception of the camera and tripod, all the gear you've listed (or an equivalent) is already part of the LCA AV kit, for which shipping plans are currently being made. Given this will all be in Canberra relatively shortly, I'm not sure why it cannot simply be used in place of buying more kit (At least at this stage, future purchases once the gear leaves Canberra can e investigated at a later date).

- Josh