[Linux-aus] AGM, Election, Name Change & Rusty Wrench Award

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 06:58:02 EST 2012

On 17/12/2012, at 3:29 AM, David Newall <davidn at davidnewall.com> wrote:

> On 16/12/12 09:51, James Polley wrote:
>>>  It is a matter of great disappointment to me that the previous council
>>>  mindfully and explicitly chose to discard the old constitution without
>>>  including electronic voting at elections in the new one [...]
>> You're correct in saying that the current constitution does not
>> explicitly list electronic voting as a voting mechanism. It also
>> doesn't explicitly mention voting by show of hands; voting by voice;
>> voting by division; secret votes on ballot papers etc.
>
> James, as I recall you were a great proponent of the constitution change, hence it's a surprise that you don't seem to have read it. In particular, voting by show of hands is explicitly permitted, as is voting by postal ballot.

Ah, section 30 (https://www.linux.org.au/constitution#Making_of_decisions). My bad, I couldn't find that when i was searching for it yesterday.

The voting methods it lists are voting by show of hands, and by "writing on paper; communication by electronic transmission, including facsimile and email; and submission of electronic forms in any format determined by the committee."

I think we're covered.

> I don't expect you to understand this (your fascination with logic relating to 100% less 26% leaves less than 75% really lowered my expectations of you.)

I'm fascinated with why you're obsessing over 75%, as though it has some relevance to the name preference 'election'.