[Linux-aus] AGM, Election, Name Change & Rusty Wrench Award

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Mon Dec 17 03:29:46 EST 2012

On 16/12/12 09:51, James Polley wrote:
>>   It is a matter of great disappointment to me that the previous council
>>   mindfully and explicitly chose to discard the old constitution without
>>   including electronic voting at elections in the new one [...]
> You're correct in saying that the current constitution does not
> explicitly list electronic voting as a voting mechanism. It also
> doesn't explicitly mention voting by show of hands; voting by voice;
> voting by division; secret votes on ballot papers etc.

James, as I recall you were a great proponent of the constitution
change, hence it's a surprise that you don't seem to have read it. In
particular, voting by show of hands is explicitly permitted, as is
voting by postal ballot.  I don't expect you to understand this (your
fascination with logic relating to 100% less 26% leaves less than 75%
really lowered my expectations of you.)

> If the voting method needs to be explicitly mentioned in the constitution, we're up
> a certain creek without a paddle.

Correct.  And thanks, in great part to you, we are, well not without a
paddle, but the paddle is going to be rather more expensive than the old
one.  (Again, James, don't strain your neuron over this.)