[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:29:04 EST 2012

I just posted this to IM, and raising it here for record:

What if we just decide that LCA will run in Sydney[1] for 2014? Let's say
at UNSW or USYD, either would work. Run the conference with a
dispersed team or volunteers called from this list [2].

We make the the explicit goal for 2014 to cut crap out of the
conference.  Make it attractive and manageable for bid teams to pick
the conference back up again for 2015 onwards.

For 2015 onwards, we start taking bids list we have in the past, but
we'll have a conference that's smaller, leaner and easy to build upon.

Or perhaps we'll discover that dispersed teams actually works
reasonably well, and this can be continued upon.

--Chris

[1] I say Sydney because it's reasonably central to everyone in
Australia and NZ, and it has venues that can hold LCA.  Melbourne
could also work for the sake of this argument.

[2] This seemed to work OK for PyCon AU 2010 & 2011, where two members
of the org team were Sydney-based and the other two were
Melbourne-based. Having feet on the ground to deal with venue was
important, but did not appear to be integral to the organisation of
the conf to have everyone present to meet face-to-face at all times.