[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Tue Aug 28 15:55:15 EST 2012

Howdy,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 03:27:15PM +1000, James Polley wrote:
> As a community we need to ask ourselves an important question: does anyone
> here want to go to LCA in 2014? If you do and know some other people who do
> as well then now might be the time to put in a bid, or LCA2014 may just not
> happen.
>
> The council is opening the bidding process for another three weeks. We
> encourage anyone thinking they’d like to be part of a bid process to use
> our mailing lists and wiki to collaborate - maybe a geographically
> dispersed team might be able to get a bid together.*

I think that a lot of us think that LCA is too hard and that's why
nobody is putting there hand up any more. So I'd like to see a lot of
discussion around doing LCA smarter rather than better. For example
should we

* Hold it in the same city every year?
* Involve paid professionals?
* Make it a three day conference without miniconfs
* Drop all the extra curricular activities like dinner, PDNS, speakers
  dinnet etc
* Have no schwag
* Make accommodation the attendees problem

There are lots of things we could do to change the nature of the
conference that would make it less of a burden to organise. I'm not
saying all of the things above are good ideas but they are worth
thinking about.

We have quite a lot of people now running quite successful 2 day
conferences.

Cheers,
John

--