[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Bianca Gibson bianca.rachel.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:58:37 EST 2012

Disclaimer: This is mashing together other people's points I've heard
offline and my own, I don't necessarily agree with any particular point in
here.

Main:
A name change risks losing reputation. LA is known and trusted, and we risk
throwing that away. It would carry over for people around during the name
change, and those in our immediate community, but not people only somewhat
involved in our community or those outside it. People will only realise if
they do research, which many people don't. The existing conferences have
their own branding, and would be able to carry on without difficulty.

Even within those who want a new name, the group is polarised.
Specifically, those who want to only mention Open Source - like Open Source
Australia, and those who only want to mention Free Software - like Free
Software Australia.
This could be used as a point against a change at all, or a point for
mentioning both - like Free and Open Source (Software) Australia. The
common thread to the uses of this argument is that we don't want to split
our community.
There is no way that in this discussion everyone will agree on mentioned
either Free Software or Open Source - better to mention both than to split
our community, unless people on one side are actively opposed to including
the other.

Bianca