[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Tue Apr 24 12:32:36 EST 2012

> Such a name change does seem appropriate -- from the point of view of
> someone organising a Python conference, it's quite annoying to have to
> explain why "Linux Australia" would be running the conference.
> Something like "Open Source Australia" would be a better fit.

Isn't this more of a problem with the way the sponsorship is promoted?
Did anyone have to explain why IBM sponsored LCA?  ("No no, it's not a
conference about running Linux on IBM mainframes.")

Lack of advertising is often mentioned as a reason why Linux isn't as
well known as other OSes.  I would have thought that an organisation
called "Linux Australia" sponsoring all these other conferences would be
a great advertising opportunity.  Just make it clear they're a major
sponsor rather than running the conference itself and there should be no
confusion.

I'm surprised so many Linux users want to pass up such a great
opportunity to spread the word about Linux!

Cheers,
Adam.