[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 14:57:01 EST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:32, Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at shikadi.net> wrote:

> Isn't this more of a problem with the way the sponsorship is promoted?
> Did anyone have to explain why IBM sponsored LCA?  ("No no, it's not a
> conference about running Linux on IBM mainframes.")

No, the issue I'm referring to is having to explain the function of
Linux Australia, as the parent body of PyCon Australia.  That is,
Linux Australia is the body who issues our invoices, and to whom
sponsors address their payments.

This is entirely different to, say, IBM, which is one of many
organisations providing sponsorship.  IBM have no "control" over LCA
as such.  LA is the sole body responsible for PyCon Australia -- they
provide the seed funding, and they take the profit once the conference
is done.

Think of it as "PyCon Australia, a Linux Australia Conference".

It is *that* capacity that I have to explain to sponsors who are
interested in giving PyCon Australia money -- who gets the money in
the end, and what their purpose is.  Writing out a cheque to "Linux
Australia" when they're supporting a Python conference feels dubious.

If Linux Australia were "just another sponsor", I think your argument
would have sway, but instead I have to explain the function of Linux
Australia as an organisation that underwrites Open Source conferences.

I hope this makes sense.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer