[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Patrick Elliott-Brennan mail at elliott-brennan.id.au
Mon Nov 28 20:28:26 EST 2011

On 28 November 2011 20:01, Rob Thomas <xrobau at gmail.com> wrote:

>> With the talk previously referred to, was the
>> person intending to cause the audience to be
>> sexually aroused??? Strange in such a conference
>> if so.
>
> No, or at least, I don't believe so.  May I suggest you watch the
> keynote in question? Warning: Has mild profanity, and erotic imagery:
> http://linuxconfau.blip.tv/file/4851926

Thanks for the link, Rob.

See, if it wasn't aimed at sexual arousal then there's no eroticism in
the material and it's sexual in orientation. For example, I had a
quick look at the video, admittedly not in depth (but I will). The
place I stopped was where there is a cartoon of a pig attempting
copulation with a goose(?). This isn't an attempt at eroticism. It's
sexual imagery. Plus the use of 'Fuck you over' isn't necessarily
offensive to me, but I view it as unprofessional. It's something I'd
expect from a comedian, but not at a professional conference.

Mind you, I'll watch the rest of the video as I'm quite curious about
these elements in the context of the totality of the presentation.
Just have to try to get the kids to sleep now :)

Regards,

Patrick