[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Sun Nov 27 20:18:33 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 18:34 +1100, elliott-brennan wrote:
> I'm not aware of what steps the writers
> have taken to address compliance issues, nor from
> whom or what they've taken advice.

Discussion with Susanne Ruthven, Human Rights lawyer and conference
director of LCA2010, suggested that less is more when it comes to these
things.

Broad brush strokes give the organisers more power to act in the grey
areas necessary than explicit descriptions of what is and isn't
acceptable would.

At least, that is my understanding of the conversation I had with her,
and her arguments against the code that was adopted for LCA 2011.

As I alluded in my earlier post - I have been paying attention to the
criticisms levelled at various anti-harassment policies, and codes of
conduct.

Its important to remember why we need this, why we want this, and not
waste energy arguing about the colour of the shed.

Hence my belief we should have an aspirational code of conduct that
reflects our values, not a list of rules and bad behaviours to avoid and
punish.

The draft I posted is not perfect - it never will be.

But will it do?

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au