[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

elliott-brennan elliottbrennan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:34:18 EST 2011

On 27/11/11 18:12, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> Wearing my PyCon AU Organiser's hat:

SNIP
> On that note, I believe that people should be able to extrapolate from
> the relevant section in the DDU code of conduct:

As I said, I'm not aware of what steps the writers
have taken to address compliance issues, nor from
whom or what they've taken advice.

My concern is that while some things are 'nice'
when written a particular way, it does not
necessarily mean that they're useful should
someone challenge them at or after an event.

'Nice' and 'happy' (my phrases) isn't useful if it
doesn't serve the purpose when tested against an
incident or challenge.

> I think giving specific examples is overly morbid/scary/etc and best avoided.

Several years in complaints management for the
State (and for volunteer organisations and
non-profits) says it's best to be clear and if you
check the examples given, it is a standard element
of 'behaviour policies' (for want of a better term).

There's nothing morbid about clarity.

> I'll note that a phrase such as the above was used in the PyCon AU
> 2011 Code of Conduct and this was sufficient to*enforce*  the code of
> conduct with zero drama at the event.

If it wasn't tested it doesn't confirm that it is
useful or that it would stand up if challenged.

> I also believe it would be highly productive if council were to
> directly consult organisers of LA-underwritten conferences: after all,
> it's in our direct interests that LA event policies are well-written
> and satisfactorily enforceable.

I agree :))

> It would, in my opinion, be completely unacceptable for the myriad LA
> events to have different codes of conduct.  Delegates should be able
> to strongly understand what is expected of them, and what values the
> conference holds, simply by knowing that the event is underwritten by
> LA.

True.

> It is therefore integral that we draft a code that has broad consensus
> amongst the various events that LA underwrites.

True

Regards,

Patrick