[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:12:09 EST 2011

Wearing my PyCon AU Organiser's hat:

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 17:31, elliott-brennan <elliottbrennan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Though I can understand Donna's desire for a more
> positive approach, the difficulty is that if you
> *don't* identify or at least out line unwanted
> behaviour I would argue you lay wide open the
> great possibility of failing to provide grounds
> for action taken later when/if such behaviour occurs.
>
> While it's not possible to specify every instance
> of unacceptable behaviour, it's an accepted
> standard of such policies that a person of 'common
> sense' would be able to extrapolate from those
> examples given.

On that note, I believe that people should be able to extrapolate from
the relevant section in the DDU code of conduct:

 "Therefore we ask everyone to be aware
that we will not tolerate intimidation, harassment, or any abusive,
discriminatory or derogatory behaviour by anyone at the event."

I think giving specific examples is overly morbid/scary/etc and best avoided.

I'll note that a phrase such as the above was used in the PyCon AU
2011 Code of Conduct and this was sufficient to *enforce* the code of
conduct with zero drama at the event.

Given the spirit of it, I'd be MUCH more comfortable using the DDU
code of conduct (once it is finalised) for PyCon than I would using
the draft LA code as it stands --- I'd therefore support the DDU code
being used as the basis for an LA code of conduct.

I also believe it would be highly productive if council were to
directly consult organisers of LA-underwritten conferences: after all,
it's in our direct interests that LA event policies are well-written
and satisfactorily enforceable.

It would, in my opinion, be completely unacceptable for the myriad LA
events to have different codes of conduct.  Delegates should be able
to strongly understand what is expected of them, and what values the
conference holds, simply by knowing that the event is underwritten by
LA.

It is therefore integral that we draft a code that has broad consensus
amongst the various events that LA underwrites.

--Chris
(PyCon AU 2012 Organiser)

--
--Christopher Neugebauer