[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

elliott-brennan elliottbrennan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 17:31:21 EST 2011

Though I can understand Donna's desire for a more
positive approach, the difficulty is that if you
*don't* identify or at least out line unwanted
behaviour I would argue you lay wide open the
great possibility of failing to provide grounds
for action taken later when/if such behaviour occurs.

While it's not possible to specify every instance
of unacceptable behaviour, it's an accepted
standard of such policies that a person of 'common
sense' would be able to extrapolate from those
examples given.

NB. Before anyone writes back to argue the toss
about 'common sense', please check with the
Federal/your local State Ombudsman's office and
check out Federal/your local State
Anti-Discrimination agency/Department and
legislation. This has been done to death for many
years.

Maybe the "Have a great time" and "What we would
like" should be the first part and emphasised
widely with posters, reminders etc. The second
part would be "What not to do".

That way you can have big posters etc carrying the
'Be happy' message :)) and then smaller text
referring to the broader document which carries
the 'don't be a nong' part.

I understand what Donna is wanting - which is a
more positive, constructive message. I completely
agree. I believe we also need to clearly state
what is not wanted.

Without know what has been accessed or utilised
already by those involved (I apologise for any
egg-sucking inference in advance):

Some examples of what to include

http://www.volunteer.vic.gov.au/resources-for-volunteer-organisations/best-practice-toolkit/manage-your-organisation/policies-and-procedures/sample-policies

http://www.communitysafety.qld.gov.au/CRTI/documents/Attachment_Bullying_Policy.pdf