[Linux-aus] Specification for OTDR file format Telcordia SR-4731 (issue 2) for .SOR files

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Fri Nov 11 12:14:20 EST 2011

Hi folks,

An OTDR measures the optical attributes of a communications fibre, most particularly the optical loss for each point on the optical path. There's a standard file format which most OTDRs support: Telcordia specification SR-4731 (issue 2). This file format has the .SOR extension. The bad news is that the specification costs USD675, is only available electronically, and has a pretty restrictive license. All of which explains why free software like Octave won't load a OTDR trace.

I would very much like to correct the lack of free software support for OTDR traces, but the cost of a license is a bit of a showstopper for a personal project.

If you know of a copy of the specification then please let me know.

Suggestions as to a way forward are welcomed. I haven't written to Telcordia/Ericsson asking for a $0 copy, as that may be more welcome coming from the Linux Australia group. Or perhaps not. Guidance is appreciated.

Cheers, Glen

Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) Data Format
http://telecom-info.telcordia.com/site-cgi/ido/docs.cgi?ID=SEARCH&DOCUMENT=SR-4731&

Enterprise license
http://telecom-info.telcordia.com/site-cgi/ido/docs2.pl?ID=023189633&page=faqs_enterprise_license

--