[Linux-aus] BarCamp Geelong - 9th July - formal request for grant $500

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 6 11:44:52 EST 2011

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Stewart Smith <stewart at flamingspork.com> wrote:
> One thing I always wonder about is why catering becomes an issue beyond
> water. Are there no places nearby that do lunch/coffee? Personally, I
> always find it really good to get out of the venue for a period of
> time at conferences. It also substantially reduces costs and
> organisation required when you don't cater.

Not to mention the fact that usually the majority of conference food is not to
the taste of most delegates.  Even when the organisers have the freedom to
provide any food/drink that they wish it's difficult to cater for the range of
tastes without significant expense.  However they don't always have such
freedom, I've attended some conferences where Coke wasn't available because
the venue had a deal with Pepsi, so I was paying for soda that I didn't want
to drink.

It was great when LCA in Melbourne gave out vouchers to Victoria Market and
everyone chose what they wanted.