[Linux-aus] Affiliates no longer welcome

Jeff Waugh jdub at bethesignal.org
Mon Jul 18 19:56:44 EST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:16, David Newall <david at davidnewall.com> wrote:

> Irrelevant. We made a decision that we wanted to be able to offer
> affiliate membership to other like-minded groups, and it's quite
> improper for the committee to unilaterally reverse that decision,
> especially to do so without making it explicit.  The committee came
> before members (i.e. this forum) and said that all they want is to
> change the financial year, yet the change goes way beyond that.  That
> you don't get this yet beggars belief.  It's the wrong way to change the
> constitution and we mustn't stand for it.  Each change that we made that
> the committee now intends to reverse must be explicitly described, with
> a case presented for keeping and for removing.  This is the proper way
> to do things.  This is what I expect.  No less.

If you don't like it, vote against it. I suspect we'll vote (a) to adopt the
newest model rules, then (b) each of the changesets described in the
proposal email from the committee. There's nothing unilateral or underhanded
about that. We're dumping a bunch of cruft for something simpler, closer to
current practice, built on a more modern base.

You're not contributing positively to this discussion. It's just a bunch of
whiny stop energy, in the face of our committee doing the legwork to find a
simple, future-proof solution to the problem (and some unfortunate cock-ups
of the distant past).

Propose a constructive, appropriate solution which meets your needs, or get
out of the way.

- Jeff