[Linux-aus] Affiliates no longer welcome

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Mon Jul 18 19:16:11 EST 2011

On 15/07/11 19:13, John Ferlito wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 06:51:58PM +0930, David Newall wrote:
>> >  In the thread titled, "Proposed Linux Australia Constitution Changes", I
>> >  pointed out
>> >  (http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2011-July/018930.html)
>> >  that we won't have a class for affiliate members any more, if the
>> >  committee's proposed changes are passed.  I expected this would be at
>> >  least a little controversial, yet nobody seems concerned.  I suspect the
>> >  truth is that members are tired of the topic of constitutional change
>> >  and therefore aren't even aware that these members will be terminated;
>> >  nor of the raft of other changes that are being contemplated without
>> >  discussion.
> To my knowledge we do not have nor have we ever had affiliate members.
>
> This section was not re-added so as to bring the constitution into
> line with current practices.

Irrelevant. We made a decision that we wanted to be able to offer
affiliate membership to other like-minded groups, and it's quite
improper for the committee to unilaterally reverse that decision,
especially to do so without making it explicit.  The committee came
before members (i.e. this forum) and said that all they want is to
change the financial year, yet the change goes way beyond that.  That
you don't get this yet beggars belief.  It's the wrong way to change the
constitution and we mustn't stand for it.  Each change that we made that
the committee now intends to reverse must be explicitly described, with
a case presented for keeping and for removing.  This is the proper way
to do things.  This is what I expect.  No less.