[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au and Brisbane flooding

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Wed Jan 12 22:55:50 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Andrew Cowie
<andrew at operationaldynamics.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:24 +0100, John Ferlito wrote:
>> A final go or no go decision will be made on Monday the 17th.
> Our thoughts are with all affected these past weeks and tonight; if
> cancelling the conference is the decision then I cannot imagine anything
> but support from the entire community.
> If people inbound, especially international visitors, are redirected to
> other [presumably capital cities with the] airports on their
> itineraries, the perhaps we should start thinking about co-ordinating
> some ad-hoc alternative events around the country to at least make them
> feel welcome if they don't quite make it to BNE.

So let's just hold off a couple of days to see the extent the flooding
affects ole' Brisbane town, and how quickly the waters retreat.  Not
being a Brisbane local I'm watching the reports from locals with great
interest, along with feeds from other sources.

I'm still very hopefully LCA2011 can continue, and while we can work
something out if it doesn't, let's just sit tight for now.  The
organising team on the ground in Brisbane have been doing a fantastic
job, so let's not discuss alternatives quite yet after all their hard

Shaun and team, thank you for your efforts in preparing LCA2011.
We're hoping that the weather will be kind and we can get to see what
you've been planning.  I can't wait!

Michael Davies           "Do what you think is interesting, do something that
michael at the-davies.net    you think is fun and worthwhile, because otherwise
http://michaeldavies.org  you won't do it well anyway." -- Brian Kernighan

More information about the linux-aus mailing list