[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au and Brisbane flooding

Marco Ostini marco at lca2011.linux.org.au
Wed Jan 12 23:31:32 EST 2011

Hi Andrew,

On 12 January 2011 21:07, Andrew Cowie <andrew at operationaldynamics.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:24 +0100, John Ferlito wrote:
>> A final go or no go decision will be made on Monday the 17th.
> Our thoughts are with all affected these past weeks and tonight; if
> cancelling the conference is the decision then I cannot imagine anything
> but support from the entire community.

Unfortunately the media do great job of displaying all the graphic and
shocking imagery, however the majority of Brisbane is not flooded and
is functioning. Our domestic and International airports are open, and
show no signs of needing to close.

> If people inbound, especially international visitors, are redirected to
> other [presumably capital cities with the] airports on their
> itineraries, the perhaps we should start thinking about co-ordinating
> some ad-hoc alternative events around the country to at least make them
> feel welcome if they don't quite make it to BNE.

Personally I almost find this suggestion offensive. The lca2011 team
have worked exceptionally hard to put on an amazing conference, and it
will take more than a flood in our CBD to kill it.

Suggestions that lca2011 may need to be cancelled are quite premature
at this moment in time. Until such time, I'm sure the whole lca2011
team would prefer to have your support rather than your sympathy or

Marco Ostini
Marco Ostini - LCA2011 - Papers team chair
marco at lca2011.linux.org.au

Follow the flow to Brisbane!

More information about the linux-aus mailing list