[Linux-aus] Proposal: *voluntary* paid membership

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Wed Apr 27 12:03:30 EST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011, James Purser wrote:
> I don't think this is going to need constitutional change as essentially
> what you seem to be suggesting is a donation system with set amounts. If
> there are no differences between "Supporting members" and "Normal Members"
> re voting rights and access to association resources, then it's basically a
> case of go for your life.

Thanks for the analysis. It will probably be important to make this clear in
the user interface too, so something like (off the top of my head):

[ ] I would like to join/renew my membership in Linux Australia.
[ ] In addition to joining/renewing membership in Linux Australia I would like
    to donate [SET AMOUNT] to the Supporting Member's Cause: [CAUSE]

Although I am not sure what, if any, obligations are imposed on us by referring
to "donations".

-Mary