[Linux-aus] Proposal: *voluntary* paid membership

James Purser jamesrpurser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:48:56 EST 2011

Sorry this should have gone to the list and Mary. Sigh

I don't think this is going to need constitutional change as essentially
what you seem to be suggesting is a donation system with set amounts. If
there are no differences between "Supporting members" and "Normal Members"
re voting rights and access to association resources, then it's basically a
case of go for your life.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First up, a note: the current Council has NO PLANS to re-introduce paid
> voting
> membership in Linux Australia. Voting membership will remain free.
>
> Our 2010 survey showed though that there are a reasonable number of people
> out
> there who would be willing to pay a small sum for Linux Australia
> membership.
> So what we'd like to discuss is creating a category of "Supporting Member",
> carrying a small sum fixed at the beginning of the year.
>
> One option we considered for using this money is that the Supporting
> Members
> might be donating to a particular thing each year. For example, the
> Supporting
> Members might fund a Regional Delegates Programme for LCA, or something of
> about that size. Each year the cause that Supporting Members donate to
> would be
> discussed on this list in advance and announced at the beginning of the LA
> year.
>
> Supporting Members would be a subset of voting members, that is, all
> supporting
> members would be voting members, but not vice versa.
>
> Supporting Members might get access to some small benefits (group discounts
> at
> retailers and such) but it wouldn't be a priority, the motivation to become
> Supporting Member for a year would be some combination of liking LA and
> liking
> the chosen cause.
>
> What do you think? Are there details of this you think should be changed?
>
> We're yet to determine for sure if this requires an amendment to the LA
> constitution; it might do.
>
> -Mary

James Purser
Collaborynth