[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Fri May 7 23:37:24 EST 2010

Don Knowles wrote:
> A written legal opinion would arrive about 6 months after the A.G.M.

The only reason why it would take six months to provide a legal opinion
is if it were a tricky issue in law.  In such a case it could not be
said that the council has clear power to appoint the president.  However
this surely is a common question and an opinion is likely to take no
more than a week.  I have received opinions on much more complicated
issues in less.

The committee could take any action they want and hope that nobody
objects should that action be invalid.

I must say that I don't see the importance of filling a casual vacancy
in the office of president.

I also wonder why a person would agree to be vice-president but refuse
to act for the president when the president is unable.  As others have
said, that is what is normally done.