[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

Don Knowles donakk at gmail.com
Fri May 7 22:39:42 EST 2010

A written legal opinion would arrive about 6 months after the A.G.M. ...
2013.
While I am not a lawyer, in my day job I get to argue with legal people all
the time.
Sometimes I even win the argument.

I put it to you that the council has all the authority it needs, contained
in cl. 14 (4) of the constitution.
Other sections are only qualifiers or conditional, the authority is clearly
expressed in cl. 14 (4) and vests in the council.

"In the event of a casual vacancy occurring in the *membership of the
council*, the council may appoint a *member of the association* to *fill the
vacancy* and the member so appointed is to hold office, subject to these
rules, until the conclusion of the annual general meeting next following the
date of the appointment."

Membership of the council includes office bearers, member of the association
is any one of us, and there is nothing that dictates where the appointee
gets placed in the offices or membership of council.

What was that reference that was supposed to be the way to call a halt to
further discussion? A reference to Nazis or something?
Please, lets halt further needless discussion.
--
Don Knowles
Rockhampton, Australia