[Linux-aus] Public Liability Insurance for Lug's.

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Thu Aug 26 23:25:50 EST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 02:01:51AM +1000, John Ferlito wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> The short answer is that LA cannot provide PLI insurance to LUGs as it
> has done in the past. The long answer including our proposed solution
> is outlined below.

I'm involved in a regional arts group in Tasmania which operates independently
but as a branch of Tasmanian Regional Arts.  As a branch we must pay an
annual fee to TRA (a modest $35) and a capitation fee for each of our
members ($6).  One of the benefits of being a branch is that our activities
are covered by the TRA's insurance, for personal injury when running events
(members and volunteers), for public liability, and for loss or damage to
property involved in events (which particularly when we run chamber music
concerts involving expensive instruments is quite important).  The money we
pay to TRA almost completely goes to paying for the insurance.

This branch model, which is probably more structured and formal than
a subcommittee one, might be worth considering for LA and the LUGs.

Dave