[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Matthew Lye matthew.lye at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 09:40:12 EST 2009

While I understand the desire to limit the exposure of the AMCA blacklist we
know a few things about it that give good reason to comment on it, and point
out specific bits of information that are on it. I believe the governments
position is that its treated as a classified document and making it public
is illegal in that sense, however I cant see what they hope to gain by
trying to limit its exposure when a quick two min search on Google will turn
up the full list on Wikileaks.

The possibilities of the list are frightening tho. Aside from the often
mentioned Great Firewall of China there are several other countries that
have instituted filters that have had massive corruption issues.

In general its a very dangerous thing to implement without judiciary
oversight to have something added to the list, and a proper course of action
to inform the owner of the domain and have an opportunity for addressing the
issue. Most importantly the list should be made available for public
scrutiny to make sure it remains accurate and honest.

Ive written more about some of the other filters
here<http://www.matthewlye.com/index.php/info-ed/68-internet-censorship-or->
.

This is something that should not be fought against, but something that we
should fight to be public so that it can be moderated. While it will be
ineffective in stopping child pornography it will be useful in limiting the
exposure of children to unsavory materials. It should be an opt-in option
made available on a connection by connection basis by every ISP, but not
something forced on everyone. It does have its merits and they should be
acknowledged. What we need to do is band together as an industry here in
Australia and object to the manner in which the filter implementation is
being conducted, not to its existence.

You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision,
determination, and and endless supply of expendable labor.

<No tree's were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced>