[Linux-aus] It's that time of year again

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Thu Jul 2 16:08:34 EST 2009

----- "Jeremy Visser" <jeremy at visser.name> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 14:41 +1000, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> > Because the policy set by the registrar for "conf.au" does not permit
> > this. The policy allows for a conf.au domain to be active for 6 months
> > out of 12, starting from when activation is requested via email in the
> > correct format.
>
> Eurgh. The policy sounds good for a one-off conference, but for LCA, it
> happens every year. Not only that, but linux.conf.au appears to be
> the only user of the domain:
>
>   http://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:conf.au
>
> Having a policy in place for just one user seems to be a little
> wasteful. I don't have much faith in bureaucracy, but is it possible
> to get them to change the policy?

No.

> I had a long reply written to this e-mail, but I scrapped it, as I
> can't really think of anything worth saying. Perhaps it would be worth
> CC'ing kre at munnari.oz.au, the administrator of conf.au.

No, it's not.

I don't want to sound disparaging, but this issue comes up every year and every year the same thing happens.

KRE isn't interested in having LA have *useful* access to the linux.conf.au domain and AUDA aren't interested in fixing the issue.

In short: LA/LCA are rooted as both entities who *could* solve this problem are not interested in solving it. So LCA just shouldn't use the domain. Sad, but true.

- P.