[Linux-aus] It's that time of year again

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Thu Jul 2 20:33:49 EST 2009

> KRE isn't interested in having LA have *useful* access to the linux.conf.au domain

That does not at all reflect the personal conversations I've had with Robert on this
issue in the past.

What do you think complaining to Robert will do?  He does not create the AU policy,
he does not maintain it. If he does not implement it as written then some bastard
will sue him into bankruptcy just to get control of the TLD.  Robert has been there,
done that, and isn't about to be stupid enough to do anything but implement the
letter of the policy.  Nor is anyone filling in for Robert.  We've all been scarred
by the history of DNS regulation in Australia.

> and AUDA aren't interested in fixing the issue.

AuDA are interested in money. And conf.au isn't going to bring in any of that.
Which is why they are disinterested.

linux.conf.au is the most successful technical conference in Australia.  So get
out there and lobby the members of the AuDA Board so that they take an interest.
I'd wager that Linux Australia has never written them a letter.

I've never seen a mention of this issue in the trade press.  It's well time AuDA
had some PR heat.

Do a stunt. Register linux.conf.nz for this year. Write an open letter to the
Minister for Communications and Random Other Stuff pointing out that the .nz
just happened, but for linux.conf.au you've been in negotiations with AuDA
for over five years.

Get interested people in power interested. Kate Lundy is a good starting point.

> In short: LA/LCA are rooted as both entities who *could* solve this problem

No, Robert cannot solve this problem.  Hassling him is just counterproductive.

AuDA on the other hand can give you what you want. All you've got to do is
to get it enough profile to get it on the meeting agenda.

--
  Glen Turner   <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>