[Linux-aus] It's that time of year again

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Jul 2 14:25:33 EST 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 01:41:51PM +1000, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> Might be a stupid question,

No not a stupid question at all.

>                             but why can't Linux Australia just hold on
> to the domain, and use NS records to change the delegation this time
> every year?

Because .conf.au is a temporary domain: http://www.aunic.net/policies.html#confau
---
The domain is used to support conferences and exhibitions that require a named
Internet presence. The domain is a short duration domain, delegated to a
conference or exhibition for a strictly limited duration.
---

So we can use the domain for ~6 months around the conference.

> It'd be the sane thing to do, given the linux.conf.au occurs every year,
> and there are people right now that have an interest in accessing the
> site, even though the conference hasn't started yet.

Sadly given the current structure of the Australian domain namespace that is
not an option.  Who know what the future will bring though.

Yours Tony