[Linux-aus] It's that time of year again

Charles Gregory la.lists at chuq.net
Thu Jul 2 15:13:02 EST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 01:41:51PM +1000, Jeremy Visser wrote:
>
> > Might be a stupid question,
>
> No not a stupid question at all.
>
> >                             but why can't Linux Australia just hold on
> > to the domain, and use NS records to change the delegation this time
> > every year?
>
> Because .conf.au is a temporary domain:
> http://www.aunic.net/policies.html#confau
> ---
> The domain is used to support conferences and exhibitions that require a
> named
> Internet presence. The domain is a short duration domain, delegated to a
> conference or exhibition for a strictly limited duration.
> ---
>
> So we can use the domain for ~6 months around the conference.
>
> > It'd be the sane thing to do, given the linux.conf.au occurs every year,
> > and there are people right now that have an interest in accessing the
> > site, even though the conference hasn't started yet.
>
> Sadly given the current structure of the Australian domain namespace that
> is
> not an option.  Who know what the future will bring though.

Dodgy workaround - make LCA a biannual conference.  Hold them in July and
January.  The July ones of course are slightly smaller.. such as three
people meeting at a pub for an evening.  Using the domain for 6 months
around each conference = year-round coverage.  :P

Of course aunic might not like it ....

Regards,

Charles