[Linux-aus] Vic bushfire relief - interest for offers of IT assistance?

Hamish Taylor hamish at devworldit.com.au
Thu Feb 19 11:17:20 EST 2009

Hi everyone

Firstly, the standard apology for cross posting to multiple lists, but
I think that this is important enough to do this.

Secondly, for those who don't know, I am currently heavily involved in
the Victorian bushfire relief effort, from a government point of view.
My current team has been providing IT support to the VicGov Emergency
Coordination Centre. I am hearing that there is limited IT
infrastructure in the field and this is hampering some of the efforts
of the government and other agencies. For example, one centre is
currently filling out all forms manually, then sending them to another
location for data entry and processing. It would be far eaier for them
to key in direct and all they need is a PC with a web browser and
Internet connection.

I have made contact with the person who is responsible for
coordinating the IT response to the bushfires. Following what I have
read on some of these lists, with people wanting to assist but not
knowing how, I have made a general offer of services and potentially
IT gear.

I'd like to be able to provide him with a list of people who are
willing to assist. Assistance may be in the form of providing and
setting up a few machines and a 3G connection for either a Relief
Centre or a community or simply backing up the exising IT staff to
enable them to have a break. If you are willing and able to assist in
any way, please let me know with details of how you can help with
this.

I am not certain if they can or will take advantage of our expertise
and willingness to help, but I am trying to be proactive in getting a
list of people, services and gear which may be able to assist. Thanks
for your consideration.
--
Hamish Taylor
hamish at devworldit.com.au