[Linux-aus] penguin shirts

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Feb 18 12:10:26 EST 2009

2009/2/18 Paul Shirren <shirro at shirro.com>:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>> The limiting factor, IIRC, is that Aboriginal-style dot paintings are
>> as seen to be the reserve of native Aboriginal artists. I think this
>> is just a social matter of courtesy rather than the result of any
>> legislation. Nevertheless, non-Aboriginal use of such a style is often
>> frowned upon.
>
> Pia, dot painting la tshirt, aboriginal community. Incredibly tasteless
> or incredibly cool. I vote the second.
>
> http://www.openplans.org/projects/blackstump/nhulunbuy

Hey, you'll get no argument whatsoever from me. I wear my dot-painting
LA t-shirt with pride, and I've attracted much interest from
non-technical people in the process.

The issue is more to do with cultural sensitivity. Clearly (at least
to us) our intentions are pure, but it's still worth treading
carefully.

The last thing I want to see is LA being smeared for 'cashing-in' on
Aboriginal-style art. That's not fair to us nor to native Australians.

--
Bring choice back to your computer.
http://www.linux.org.au/linux