[Linux-aus] LCA bids -- wonderful presentation, but to what purpose?

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Mon Sep 8 15:35:30 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 21:29 +0800, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Glen Turner <gdt at gdt.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > Dear LA committee,
> >
> > I have read one of the bids for LCA 2010.  It was an impressive
> > document -- a large amount of carefully prepared text, extensive
> > photography, and so on.

One good trick is to get the local convention/conference bureau to help
out - they have stock text about the cities, venues and stock photos
that can help when putting together such a document.

> > My estimate is that this document would have taken three months
> > to prepare.
>
> Certainly in Perth's case, it was more like a very panicked week :)
> We've been working on our bid for 6-8 months now, and the vast
> majority of that time has been planning things that will affect the
> conference itself, rather than just the bid.

From Melbourne's experience, we put in a good amount of effort over a
few years before we won the bid - but it's all reusable. After you've
found out a lot of the basic information, known what your options are
it's very easy to go over it again when trying to prep for the next
year.

We (being Melbourne bid people) don't feel like there was any wasted
effort in the process... it was all in pursuit of being really ready to
run the conf.

The process of selection has changed over the years... and I hope for
the better. Feedback and suggestions are always welcome - as are patches
to (and creation of) documents around the LCA process (from selection to
running)

> That's not to say a pro-forma response is a bad idea - just adding a data point.

There sort-of is... the LCA HOWTO lists a bunch of things that should be
covered in the bid document...

and text only bid documents are more than welcome... have a read of the
2007 bid for Sydney, text, to the point - and got it (and put on an
awesome conf).
--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)
President, Linux Australia (http://www.linux.org.au/)