[Linux-aus] LCA bids -- wonderful presentation, but to what purpose?

Clinton Roy clinton.roy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 05:03:34 EST 2008

Hi Glenn,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Glen Turner <gdt at gdt.id.au> wrote:

> Can I suggest for future linux.conf.au bids that Linux Australia
> issue a pro-forma response which bidders can complete. Bids would
> continue to be assessed on the quality of the content of the response,
> without bids needing to put so much effort into the quality of
> the presentation of the response.

I have similar reservations but as I'm part of a bid team I was biting
my tongue until a more appropriate time. I too worry about how much
time and energy has been spent on the bids, and whether this time and
energy is better spent on improving software.

While I certainly agree that comparing bids by content alone would be
more in line with a technically focussed conference, lets not forget
that the main complaint about the software we produce is the spit and
polish and ease of use.

Lets not underestimate the ability of a bit of artistry to lift a
piece of technology. I can't believe I just said that.

That's all from me on this till the winning bid is picked.

cheers,
--
Clinton Roy
CSIRO - Robotics Platform Engineer