[Linux-aus] Grant request: video camera hire for AussieChix microconference

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Oct 25 05:20:34 EST 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:07:20 +1100
> From: Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org>
> To: committee at linux.org.au, linux-aus at linux.org.au
> Subject: [Linux-aus] Grant request: video camera hire for AussieChix
>     microconference
>
> Grant request per procedures at http://www.linux.org.au/projects/grants/
>
> Date: 25 October 2008
>
> Project Name: AussieChix microconference
>
> Aim of Project:
>
> The AussieChix microconference is a one day event on October 25 (today,
> as it's just past midnight as I send this). It's organised by Alice
> Boxhall and myself and designed to be an informal event to give
> AussieChix members and other interested women in Australia public
> speaking experience. This experience is highly valuable in the Free
> Software community: ability to present at conferences is an important
> skill.
>
> This event is designed to complement the miniconference we are having at
> linux.conf.au, by being more informal and having a smaller audience.
>
> More information is up at
> http://conf.au.linuxchix.org/2008-microconference-sydney-and-melbourne
>
> Person Responsible for Request: Mary Gardiner
>
> Request:
>
> The facilities for this event are largely being donated by Google
> Australia: access to their offices in Sydney and Melbourne and video
> conferencing equipment.
>
> However, Google has the ability to record talks for later viewing in
> Sydney, but not in Melbourne. We would like to make video of the talks
> available online (when the speaker consents) and are hiring a camera in
> Melbourne. The request is for the cost of this hire.
>
> Details:
>
> Hiring company: Abacus http://www.abacusrentit.com.au/
>
> Cost: $181.50 for hire of camera, plus all media etc.
>
> If awarded this grant, we commit to the footage of the Melbourne talks
> being available within one month, ie 25 November.
>
> (If not awarded the grant, I will self-fund this cost, but since I am a
> student this is not a trivial expense.)
>
> -Mary

One thing about which I am curious; and that is the feasibility of
hiring the videocamera, rather than purchasing.

As an example, see
http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22785
and
http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22123

which have recommended retail prices of around $400 for the former,
and $350 for the latter.

The former one, has USB connection available.

The pick of the available Sony video cameras, is the one at
http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=30727 , which
has a 30GB HDD, but that one has a recommended retail price of $769,
which is considerably more.

Perhaps, it could be more practical (and feasible) for a grant to
purchase a video camera, with some kind of agreement, like "owned by
Linux Australia, and on indefinite loan to the state LUG, for use in
approved applications", or some such simliar thing.

It seems a waste of money, to pay about half the purchase price, to
rent a camera for a single event, rather than buying a camera for use
for multiple events.

Well, I think that that alternative proposal is worth considering,
anyway.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale