[Linux-aus] Grant request: video camera hire for AussieChix microconference

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Sat Oct 25 00:07:20 EST 2008

Grant request per procedures at http://www.linux.org.au/projects/grants/

Date: 25 October 2008

Project Name: AussieChix microconference

Aim of Project:

The AussieChix microconference is a one day event on October 25 (today,
as it's just past midnight as I send this). It's organised by Alice
Boxhall and myself and designed to be an informal event to give
AussieChix members and other interested women in Australia public
speaking experience. This experience is highly valuable in the Free
Software community: ability to present at conferences is an important
skill.

This event is designed to complement the miniconference we are having at
linux.conf.au, by being more informal and having a smaller audience.

More information is up at
http://conf.au.linuxchix.org/2008-microconference-sydney-and-melbourne

Person Responsible for Request: Mary Gardiner

Request:

The facilities for this event are largely being donated by Google
Australia: access to their offices in Sydney and Melbourne and video
conferencing equipment.

However, Google has the ability to record talks for later viewing in
Sydney, but not in Melbourne. We would like to make video of the talks
available online (when the speaker consents) and are hiring a camera in
Melbourne. The request is for the cost of this hire.

Details:

Hiring company: Abacus http://www.abacusrentit.com.au/

Cost: $181.50 for hire of camera, plus all media etc.

If awarded this grant, we commit to the footage of the Melbourne talks
being available within one month, ie 25 November.

(If not awarded the grant, I will self-fund this cost, but since I am a
student this is not a trivial expense.)

-Mary